Tell Congress: Cut off and investigate G4S, the Orlando Mass Murderer's employer
Here's the message we sent to our members. After you've read it, please add your voice.
What kind of controversial security firm employs a mass murderer? The multinational corporation G4S is the answer, and the details are even worse.1 The Orlando Mass Murderer was reported by his coworker several times for using slurs against “gay people, blacks, Jews, and women” and also for “making threats of violence.”2
G4S should have done something. Instead, G4S did nothing and now over a hundred people — mostly LGBT and Latinx — are dead or seriously injured.3 If this were any other organization the government would have been knocking its doors down to investigate it for being complicit in terrorism.
The mass murder of LGBTQIA Latinxs in Orlando is an outrage.4 It's also outrageous that the mass murderer's controversial employer had a chance to do something about it, and didn't.5
G4S does controversial security work for governments all over the world, including the imprisonment and deportation of immigrants.6 No one should be profiting off the imprisonment and deportation of human beings, much less a security company that fails to take action on security risks within its own ranks. Worst of all, G4S has a history of hiring people who promote racism, violence, or criminal actions. 7 The Orlando Mass Murderer wasn’t the first, and he won’t be the last.
Former G4S chief executive, Nick Buckles, probably described the values of the company best when he said: “There is nothing like a political crisis to stimulate a bit of change.”8 This was in reference to how the company was able to increase profits in the Netherlands after the assassination of a politician there. G4S should never be allowed to deal with a “political crisis” again.
Take a stand against the bigotry and homophobia of the Orlando Mass Murderer. Tell your member of Congress to end all contracts with G4S and to begin an investigation into the multinational corporation immediately. Tell them to also end the practice of profit when it comes to the imprisonment and deportation of human beings.
Thank you for all you do and ¡adelante!
– Matt, Favianna, Oscar, Erick, and the Presente.org team.
P.S. Can you donate $5 to support our work? We rely on contributions from people like you to see campaigns like this through.
1,2. “Omar Mateen: What We Know About the Orlando Nightclub Shooter.” AP, ABC News. June 13, 2016.
3. “Orlando Shooting 49 Killed, Shooter Pledged ISIS Allegiance.” CNN. June 13, 2016.
4. "Here Are All Of The Victims In The Orlando Nightclub Shooting." BuzzFeed News. June 12, 2016.
5. "Before Orlando, Omar Mateen Worked for Human Rights Abusers." Institute for Policy Studies. June 14, 2016.
6. “Orlando Shooter Underwent Company Screenings in 2013 with ‘No Findings’.” Reuters. June 13, 2016.
7. “G4S, the Company with No Convictions-But Does it Have Blood On its Hands?” The Guardian. December 22, 2014.
8. “Companies Use Immigration Crackdown to Turn a Profit.” The New York Times. September 28, 2011.