FLINT: First poison water and now deportations? Tell the Obama administration to stop this now.
Here's the message we sent to our members. After you've read it, please add your voice.
The people of Flint continue to be poisoned by lead-filled, toxic water due to the reckless actions of Gov. Snyder’s administration in Michigan.1 While Flint’s water has been dangerous for more than a year, many immigrants in Flint have only recently become aware of the seriousness of the problem and the lifelong effects on their health.2
And to make matters worse, now that immigrants are finally seeking the help they need to survive they’ve had to risk deportation to get it.3 Despite orders from the State of Michigan, water distribution centers in Flint have been requiring IDs to receive water and other support. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents have also been seen apprehending immigrants at grocery stores where people are going to buy the water they need to survive.4
Both the state of Michigan and the federal government have put out statements walking back some of these actions, but it’s clear from reports on the ground that those statements aren’t being implemented, and that immigrant communities are still in danger.4 This isn’t right. No one should have to fear being deported away from their families and their communities in order to access safe, drinkable water. If enough of us take action, we can stop this.
The federal government needs to put out a clear statement that they’ll stop deporting people from Flint until the water crisis is over and everyone is properly cared for. Government officials also must ensure that everyone in Flint is notified.
Thank you for all you do and ¡adelante!
– Matt, Favianna, Oscar, Erick, and the Presente.org team.
P.S. Can you donate $5 to support our work? We rely on contributions from people like you to see campaigns like this through.
1. “Flint's water crisis, explained in 3 minutes.” Vox. January 26, 2016
2. “How The Flint Water Crisis Is Impacting Undocumented Immigrants.” Think Progress. January 22, 2016
3. "Undocumented immigrants in Flint say they’ve been denied free water and are scared to get help." Fusion. January 25, 2016
4. “Fear prevents some undocumented immigrants from getting water in Flint.” Michigan Radio. January 27, 2016